Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The race set before me...

When we moved here, one of the first things I noticed was the joggers. Every time I leave our apartment, I see at least two people out jogging, day or night. For some reason, this inspired me. Then a few weeks ago, my cousin posted something on Facebook about a workout he was doing called the Couch to 5K workout (www.c25k.com). It claims that in nine weeks, you can train to run a 5K or for 30 minutes. Again, I was inspired.

I have never been a runner. I have never wanted to be a runner. For years, I claimed an allergy to running. But recently, the thought of running intrigues me, teases me, calls to me even. Why? Umm...not sure. Maybe it is the desire to lose weight and wanting a workout that burns more calories in a shorter time. Maybe it is the display of long, lean bodies trotting past our building everyday. Maybe it is the desire to have something to work for. Maybe it is the desire to push myself in ways I have never pushed myself before. Maybe it is to prove something to myself that I don't even know I need to prove yet.

So three and half weeks ago, I started the C25K workout. Week one and week two weren't too bad. I have been working out so I wasn't really starting from scratch. Week three was challenging but I worked through it. Now I am on week four. It has been a struggle, but I push myself through the aches and the sweat. Sometimes, I actually have to give myself pep talks as I start the last five minute run. Every time I finish a workout, I feel a sense of accomplishment through the haze of fatigue and weakness.

Do I see a difference yet? In some ways. There are parts of me that hurt that I didn't know could hurt. My heart is getting stronger. I am losing weight. My thighs are slimming and my calves are more defined. I have learned that it is possible to sweat more than I ever thought possible and that I need better shoes.

There is a 5K race on November 5th. This is my goal. I will run in this race. Can I do it today? No. But I have a little over four months to get myself in shape. Will it be easy? Not by a long shot. Will I want to quit? Yes, many times I am sure. Will I quit? NO! I want this. I want to be able to say I ran this race and finished. I have alot of hard sweaty work ahead of me. And strangely enough, I relish the thought. Thanks for reading.

No comments: