Wednesday, September 19, 2007

That's a bug?!?

Before I moved here, I was not skittish about bugs. We have bugs in Texas. You know, the normal kinds: tarantulas, grasshopppers, wasps, ect. Here in Alabama, they have some weird critters who have tested my "bug" nerves to the limit.

The first one I was introduced to is a cow ant which is an appropiate name for the beast. It is actually a wasp and not an ant. A cow ant, or at least the one I saw, is about an inch long and red and black. Not the dark red you normally associate with ants but a neon red that you would find on jewelery that went out of style in the '80s. I am told they are very hard to kill. You can't just step on them. You have to make sure the body is seperated from the head, kind of like an insect version of "Highlander." I am also told their bite is very painful. One friend told me he would have rather had someone burn his thumb off than endure the pain when recounting a childhood incedent.

The second critters are called lovebugs. They are these little black and red bugs who fly around in pairs. Apparently it is mating season for them, hence the name. They are everywhere. They are extremely attracted to the color white which is bad for me because my door is white. I have to fight my way through a cloud of them to get in my door and make sure all cling-ons are dealt with appropriately. I am also told they will take the paint off your car if you don't wash them off quickly. Unfortunately, lovebug season is only beginning.

The third critter is the giant cockroach. They say everything is bigger in Texas but not so with these. The smallest one I have seen was about an inch and half long. These, too, are everywhere. That's all you need to know about them.

The most recent addition to my "The Weirdest Bugs I Have Ever Seen" collection is a flying beetle. I have no idea what they are called. I have had one in my room the past two nights. In fact, I had to go kill one as I was writing this. These are the most disturbing because I don't know where they come from. They make this awful buzzing noise when they fly. They are also very clumsy when they fly so you never know where they are going to land. I could go on and tell you of other creatures, but just writing about them gives me the heebie jeebies. And now on to other news...

I now have a job. It is not a job I would have normally have taken, but I need the money. I have been made aware by God and others around me that I have a problem with pride. I didn't even realize it until now. So here I am about to start working in a meat department at a local grocery store. I don't start work until Sunday and I am not really looking forward to it. I know, I know, I have to start somewhere. I am thankful I will now be able to buy food and gas. I know God has a reason for it and I firmly believe it is to make me aware of a pride issue I need to deal with. But things could be looking up in the near future. I will give you details at a later date.

Other than the creepy crawlies and a new job, there isn't anything else to report. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, working in a meat market is not all that bad. It was my first job that was not on the farm with my family. Hang in there. God has a purpose.