Friday, October 12, 2007

Spiderzilla Attacks!!

Let me set the scene:

I was watching a movie last night. I had turned off all the lights and was reclining on the couch. I was deeply engrossed in an intense scene between Van Helsing and Dracula when I saw something crawl out from under the couch. My first thought was it was a mouse because it was about the size of a small rodent. After a few seconds I realized it didn't move like a mouse. At this point, I was really hoping it was a giant cockroach. I can handle giant cockroaches. Turn on the light, they scatter.

Now, I decided I was going to have to turn on the light because I really needed to know what had parked itself in the middle of my floor. I quietly and quickly got off the couch and turned on the light. What I saw froze me to my very core. (Imagine dramatic music here)

In the middle of my floor looking at me with all eight of its black beady eyes was the biggest spider I have ever seen that wasn't behind glass. Now, normally I am a rational person but when it comes to eight-legged creatures, I lose all reason. I had my phone in my hand and decided I needed to call someone to take care of this thing.

I opened my phone book and called the first person on the list who lives in Alabama who happened to be Alex. He didn't answer which was probably a good thing because he is 17 and has a curfew so he probably wouldn't have been able to help me anyway. He told me today that I woke him up which is why he didn't answer. It was only 10:30 and he didn't have school today. What 17 year old with an Xbox 360 Elite and Halo 3 would be in bed on a "Friday" night?

So now I was at the point where I have to find someone to kill this thing because I am really starting to freak. Then I remembered there is a group here this weekend that consists of all men. Surely I could find one of them to come kill the monstrosity.

I went to the kitchen which is next door to my room. Thank the Lord there were some men in there and one of them was kind enough to kill the spider. I learned today from his wife he is scared of spiders and she was surprised he killed it. Apparently, I was more terrified than he was.

After he left, I could feel myself really starting to freak. I called Mom and told her what happened. I was to the point where I couldn't even touch the couch and didn't want to get into my bed because it is immediately behind the couch. I couldn't stand the place any longer so I grabbed my keys and went to sit in my car.

Sitting in my car seemed to help. I was trying to decide what to do because my skin was crawling and there was no way I could go back into that room in the condition I was in. I tried going down to Sara's house to see if I could sleep in her guest bed. There was a light on so I knocked. She didn't answer. I found out later she was sick.

So I decided to go for a drive. Now, Citronelle is a small town and it is in the middle of Podunk. By drive, I mean I made a big circle and went down Main street. The whole drive took me about 7 minutes.

When I got back to camp, I decided I still needed some calming down. I got on the internet to see if anyone was online. Nobody was. I prayed for about 2 minutes when the little box for the MySpace IM popped up to tell me Kayla was on. Kayla is more afraid of spiders than I am so I knew she would sympathize. After talking to her for a while I felt calm enough to sleep.

The problem still remained of where I was going to sleep. I had thought about sleeping on the top bunk of one of the other beds in my room because Mom had assured me that a spider like that would stay on the ground. The ceiling is awfully low and I just couldn't take that risk. I ended up sleeping on the love seat with the lights on. I couldn't make myself turn the lights off because I was afraid another spider would come out if I did.

Needless to say I am rather tired today. I know my fear of spiders is irrational and all in my head but I don't know how to change it. I still get the heebie jeebies when I walk into the Island and I still haven't been able to make myself sit on the couch.
Yes, Mom. I took this picture and this is the actual beast that was in my room. If you notice, there are a couple of legs missing from one side. I found them later in my room. Oh, the horror!! Thanks for reading.

No comments: